Thursday, May 28, 2009

Oktayne On Hyphy Rockstar

Born Albert Devon Tatmon, in Berkeley, California on the 15th of December 1987, Okatyne is a millennium artist who recorded several mixtapes. He has a small buzz from his song “Brim Low” The song was a cut from the 1st Ignition mixtape. Ignition was a series of two mixtapes created for fan support, and improvement. Unfortunately he changed his squad’s name so that series is considered as unreleased material. Oktayne is also known around his peers, with his smooth tempting voice. He can use that tempting voice to rap well as well as to turn women on. He attended John Swett High School in Crockett, CA. There he took a Voice Class, and a Comtemporary Music Class. Oktayne second love was R&B but fell in love with Hip Hop before Tupac died. He used to stay in the hood while living in the city of Oakland but was too young to understand it. His family moved out of Oakland because of academic reasons. Oktayne grew up in Smallzville, CA (Rodeo) from 1994 until present. Oktayne first picked up the microphone to record in the 8th grade. During that year two students went to Oktayne’s house and used his Dad’s DJ equipment to record demo tapes. Around that time it was the era of the cassette tapes. The cassette tapes were popular until LP cds were the only type of album in the marketplace. In result the popularity of LP cds were slowly rising. Everybody knew things were about to change sooner or later. Due to those technology advances Oktayne’s progress wasn’t working properly. He eventually decided to be a solo artist. br>
Oktayne is growing into an image of young Hip Hop supporters. He maturely realizes that Hip Hop has no more substance. He wants to bring the substance back to game while sticking to his mainstream roots. He was dreaming about this since 1999 influenced by one of his brother’s friends who was starting a record label. So you can see he is growing into an image of young Hip Hop supporters. Oktayne’s era is known as the 80’s babies era or the late 80’s babies era. Oktayne’s album Self-Explanations is currently out digitally at i tunes, napster and rhapsody. The music produced by Beat Catererz, Kajmir Royale, G-Funk, and Sap Da Beat Man. The artwork was done by Slaugther Graphics with the sign “Welcome To Smallzville” in the background. The message of the cover is that he is an artist from that small town, and the small town is on the verge of being put on the map. The album is an organized album, and it is a debut that will identify to you why Oktayne is a good artist. The quest for greatness has begun for Oktayne, and it’s a difficult journey for him. The constant struggle of getting known since he is not from a big city that thrives on the hip-hop music scene. As long as he’s keeps the faith in his belief in God, then Oktayne will achieve many things. The mission for him is to make sure he’s able to do what he can to make him stable. Just enough to do what he loves and support a family in the process. A process that will take time as he grows as an artist. If you somebody that supports or may support his music then you will see that he grew so much through out the album.



Artist / Group Name:Oktayne

Name of song you are sending: Neva Thought Ft. Mardell Maxwell

Artist / Group Website: www.myspace.com/therealoktaynepage
Where is the artist located: Rodeo aka Smallzville, CA

How did you get started with your music? I had this old keyboard with drum loops, and i would put on the drum loops and spit to them, that was in 1999. I also put in Jay-z’s Hard Knock Life Album, and Dr. Dre’s Chronic 2001 which made me want to rap.

What are you currently working on? Right now I got an album out digital only called Self-Explanations. At the moment I’m working on a music video for my single Neva Thought. I’m also working on getting physical copies for that, so I can send out for reviews. I’m also working on this mixtape series called Self-Explanatory.



What kind of music do you listen to and how does it influence your music? It’s varies from hip-hop to punk. I am very experimental at times, but I’m mostly rap on the microphone. All my music I listen to is on my ipod. I got songs on there that influence my style, swagger, lifestyle and my emotional state of mind. So basically I have all kinds of music on my ipod.

What’s your opinion on mainstream music today? It is not as good as it used to be.

Who do you admire? Nas because he is still the most talented emcee in a long time to me.

Why would people want to listen to your music over someone else’s? It’s more than being marketable, my music can entertain you, and amaze you all in one whole project. You will not get a one dimensional artist out of Oktayne.



Who have you worked with and how have they affected your work? I worked with a Smallzville native Circus *TK and well I learn how to show my swagger more from his music. I also worked with a singer by the name of Mardell Maxwell who is from the state of Kansas, his hook affected me so much that I bought his album from ITunes. I also worked with an artist named Sosa Da Champ from St. Louis, and honestly he was the one that shined on our track, because the beat was up his alley. I wasn’t too far behind tho. I am currently planning to work on some music with this Utah singer named Bre, details about that will be revealed in the fall or winter.

What is your local music scene like? It’s not a spot popular in hip-hop so we have to rely on the big cities like Oakland and San Francisco. We have a few artist from Smallzville, who are currently buzzing. They are currently Circus *TK, Young Winn, Mike-Dash-E who are buzzing. The Smallzville movement is taken very seriously because there is even a label by that name. There will be more including myself Oktayne.

What suggestions do you have for other artists in the music industry? Stay true to yourself no matter the cause. Don’t cheat yourself by being something you are not. The reason is lies have a tendency of coming to the light. You don’t want your fan base to turn on you because you are not being yourself.



Where do you see yourself in a year from now? With my second album out called “Rubix Cube,” as well as my ep promo album called Geek Eye View to promote Rubix Cube.

Any additional information you would like us to know? People can contact me by email ignitionceoswag@gmail.com and you can also buy the album on www.itunes.com/oktayne, on http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0022PWQ76,
http://home.napster.com/ns/music/artist_search.html?artist_id=12732472, http://mp3.rhapsody.com/oktayne/self-explanations


What are your views about the HYPHY movement? The bay area stations played the music out, but it was hot while it lasted. The reason is because it made us different from everybody else. I wish we didn’t over do it so people from the outside would have a better impression about it.

No comments: